Macadamia nuts, with scientific name Macadamia Integrifolia – is one of the most common edible nuts filled with significant health-benefiting nutrients. It is delicious, sweet, and flavourful in addition to the fact that it belongs to the family of Proteaceae in the genus: Macadamia. Some of their common names include Queensland nut, Bush nut, Australia nut, and so on.
Processing? Raw whole macadamia nuts are usually dissected from processing units with the aid of large sheller machines. On the domestic front, hand held pliers or small size nut-sheller machine are normally used.
Cooking tips associated with macadamia nuts nutrition:
- Macadamia effortlessly goes side-by-side with sweet delicacies. Crushed, roasted macadamia are sprinkled on dessert, sweets, salads, and so on most times.
- They are also used in confectionery as an additive agent to sweets, cakes, and biscuits.
- Macadamia oil enjoys a lot of similarities with olive oil. When it is used, it adds sweet delicious flavor to an array of foods. It could serve as cooking and dressing oil when preparing seafood, meat dishes, and vegetables in a lot of cuisines.
- Macadamia nuts are normally eaten alone by opening them up with the aid of a nut-cracker machine. Aside from this, they can also be enjoyed salted, roasted, and sweetened as well.
- Add chips and halves to dessert especially sundaes and other ice cream recipes.
- Macadamia butter is rich in protein and gluten free. Aside this, gluten-sensitive individuals can make use of it for salad dressings, sauces, sandwiches, etc.
- Macadamia nuts are sweet in taste, crunchy, and they are usually associated with nutty aroma.
For the purpose of this article, let’s take a look at 10 Macadamia Nuts Health Benefits:
- Promote Weight Loss – Macadamia nuts has palmitoleic acid, which is a type of monounsaturated fatty acid that hastens the metabolism of the body thus reducing the amount of fat in the body.
- Reduce Cholesterol Levels – One of the major health benefits of macadamia nuts nutrition is that it limits the level of cholesterol in the body since its a cholesterol free food. A diet rich in macadamia also reduces the level of triglycerides in the body.
- Limit Heart Diseases Risk – Macadamia nuts are rich in high fats however the fat is monounsaturated in form. Monounsaturated fats assist with lowering cholesterol levels thereby limiting the risk of stroke and heart diseases. These nuts also contain high fiber content that maintains a healthy blood lipid profile thus guarding the body against coronary artery diseases.
- Repair Damaged Cells – One of the major macadamia nuts benefits is that they help to repair damaged body cells. These nuts contain high flavonoid content and flavonoids are compounds normally found in plants and they guard the body against environmental toxins and also repair damaged cells. Antioxidants situated in macadamia nuts get the better of the free radicals thereby protecting the body from numerous diseases.
- Anti-ageing – These nuts have a lot of anti-ageing compounds that limit the rate at which the skin ages. Palmitoleic acid, which is found in macadamia nuts, removes signs of aging aside preventing it.
- Nail Care – Macadamia oil is a very good nail treatment agent as it prevents cuticle when it is used to massage the hands and the cuticles. It provides you with healthy and strong nails apart from improving the condition of the cuticles.
- Dry Skin – Macadamia oil is used in treating dry and damaged skin. Constant application softens, moisturizes, and makes dehydrated skin glow. It is suited for all skin types, oily skin inclusive. It is light, non-greasy, and can be easily absorbed into the skin.
- Prevents and Treats Dry Hair – One of the main macadamia nuts benefits is that it prevents and treats dry hair. These nuts have palmitoleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fat that aids the production of sebum in the scalp thereby replenishing the follicles and rejuvenating the hair. For example, Macadamia healing oil spray, derived from macadamia nuts, is generally good for all hair types since it repairs dry and damaged hair strands and restores moisture as well.
- Bone Health – Macadamia nuts contain phosphorus, which performs an array of functions such as metabolism, absorption, and transportation of nutrients, as well as bone and teeth mineralization. These nuts have calcium that assists with the formation of teeth and bones. Manganese in these nuts assists the body to deposit new bone tissue thus making the skeleton stay strong with age. The Omega-3 fatty acids in them also prevent osteoporosis and limit the severity of arthritis.
- Promote Brain Health – Macadamia nuts nutrition promotes the health and well-being of the nervous system. These nuts contain copper, responsible for neurotransmitters, which are the chemicals that the brain uses. To send chemical signals.